How to Earn the Designation
If you're not already a member of NAR, you'll need to before you can take the next step to become a Seniors Real Estate Specialist®.
2. Complete the Seniors Real Estate Specialist® (SRES®) Designation Course
Whether you prefer learning in person or online, our two-day designation course instills the knowledge and understanding you require to meet the needs of clients over the age of 50. During the designation course, you'll gain practical knowledge and techniques, including:
- Key differences in housing options, from age-restricted communities to assisted living
- Applications of the Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA)
- Ins and outs of reverse mortgages
- How to use pensions, 401(k) accounts, and IRAs in real estate transactions
- Ways in which Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security affect real estate decisions of clients over 50
- How to recognize and protect clients from mortgage finance and loan schemes that target borrowers ages 50+
Visit our SRES® Course Overview to learn more about what our program offers you.
3. Maintain active membership in the SRES® Council.
The SRES® Council was formed to provide continuing education to REALTORS®, supply consumers with valuable information resources, and connect senior homebuyers and sellers with qualified SRES® designees. New designees receive one-year of membership in the SRES® Council FREE. Annual dues are $99 each year thereafter.